Every year people come from many parts of Iowa to Des Moines to attend the Iowa State Fair. Starting on the second Thursday of August every year, it has been one of the largest state fairs in the country, bringing in more than a million people over the course of its eleven days.
There are many amazing things that can be found in the 400-plus acres of space that the Iowa State Fair:
- Concerts are held in the evening at the Iowa State Fair Grandstand. The concerts include many artists from country to rock to pop.
- The Grandstand also hosts demolition derbies and tractor pulls among many other events.
- Many agricultural shows that showcase the many types of animals that are raised within Iowa are also highlighted at this event.
- There are hundreds of food vendors scattered all around the fairgrounds.
- Individual buildings are home to many arts and crafts and business-related vendors.
- The Heritage Section is also a popular attraction out here. This is a spot that showcases a full replica of life in Iowa in 1854, the year that the Iowa State Fair was first held in.
- The Bill Riley State Fair Talent Search event has been held since 1959 and features competitions in the 2-12 Sprouts and 13-21 Seniors ranges. This competition features young talented stars who have been found through many preliminary competitions around Iowa throughout the year.
- This is all paired with a large midway with all sorts of rides and games.
All of these features and many more are among the best things that people can explore when it comes to the Iowa State Fair. It has something for everyone to enjoy.
The Butter Cow
The most iconic part of the Iowa State Fair worth exploring is the Butter Cow. The Butter Cow sculpture is a full butter sculpture that is cut to be shaped like a full-size cow. The Butter Cow has been around since 1911 and has been a popular site for all to explore.
In addition, the Butter Cow is often paired with an additional statue that features a popular figure. For instance, in 2014 a butter sculpture designed to celebrate the anniversary of the Iowa-set film Field of Dreams was featured at the fair.
The Iowa State Fair is one of the most amazing events for people to explore while in Iowa. This event in Des Moines is a very popular event that brings in loads of people every year and continues to be very popular to this day.